Ringing in the New Year certainly looks different this holiday season. Although public celebrations have been cancelled, there are a number of fun activities you can do at home as a family to welcome 2021.
Create a family time capsule. Creating time capsules is not only a great way to preserve memories, but it’s also perfect for seeing how things can change over shorter periods of time. Families can create their time capsule on New Years Day and open it again as the year comes to an end on New Years Eve. Your children will love to see how much they’ve changed! There are many ways to create a time capsule but you may want to consider these ideas to get started:
- A small box, plastic container or even a small bag can be used to store these treasures for the next 12 months. Younger children can color, paint or decorate the box together. Older children may want to work to create a family logo to display on the container.
- Family members can use this free printable sheet to interview each other. It’s so fun to see how personal interests can change!
- Create a family tree drawing together. This is especially fun if new siblings are expected in the new year. Your extended family may grow as well! A wedding, the birth of a cousin or new family friends can all be added.
- Write letters! Add the names of each family member to a small piece of paper. Draw a name and write a letter to that person to be opened on New Years Eve.
- Photos are always a good option to include. Drawings, art projects or small momentos can complete your family time capsule.
Get the conversation going. Looking for an activity that is less involved? Use this free printable activity to reflect on the past year and initiate conversations with each other. New Years Day is the perfect time to set goals as a family for the year ahead!