Here is their latest program:
Nearly a quarter century ago, the Autism Society launched a nationwide effort to promote autism awareness, inclusion and self-determination for all, and to assure that each person with ASD is provided the opportunity to achieve the highest possible quality of life. This year we want to go beyond simply promoting autism awareness to encouraging everyone to become partners in the movement of creating a world where all people, regardless of diagnosis, are treated with respect and dignity and are appreciated for who they are. Awareness is only one step in our journey. We see clear progression from awareness to action to inclusion and acceptance resulting in appreciation of the value of our differences and the unique gifts we all have to offer–so this year we celebrate April by celebrating Uniquely You.
That‚Äôs why this month, we‚Äôre launching #AutismUniquelyYou – a month-long social media campaign celebrating self-identity and acceptance and appreciation for how each of us does our part to make the world a better place for autism. #AutismUniquelyYou invites people to share their individuality and reflect on differences in us all. The campaign invites people of all ages* to get creative, paint their hands, make a video or take a picture of the final product, tag it and share it on social media and encourage others to do the same! Visit the Facebook page of the Autism Society of America or your favorite local affiliate and ‚Äúlike us‚Äù and consider a donation to support this great campaign. It‚Äôs fun and it‚Äôs simple – all you need is a camera, paint and your favorite surface to get started. It‚Äôs a self-affirming message that people of all ages can get behind. We want everyone to take action and embrace appreciation during National Autism Awareness Month!
How will you celebrate National Autism Awareness Month? Join in the fun and get involved in the following ways:
- Be Unique. Be You. Create your #AutismUniquelyYou hand-print image, tag it and share it with your social media followers. Invite at least 5 others to join the fun and show their unique style
- Post the #NAAM15 badge to all of your social media and encourage your family, friends and coworkers to do the same
- Purchase a totally awesome limited-edition autism awareness shirt from our online store and show your autism pride (there are several styles available but quantities are limited so don‚Äôt delay)
- Attend an autism awareness event in your community – remember to support your local Autism Society affiliate
- Create a project utilizing the ribbon image, theme or other autism imagery for your audiences and tag us/share with us!
- Recognize someone who is affected by autism and post your nomination on social media and tag #AutismUniquelyYou so we can share your story.
- Follow #NAAM15 and #AutismUniquelyYou to join the conversation throughout the month of April
The Child and Family Development team of more than 30 therapists provides services to kids with autism including: Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Speech Therapy, as well as Educational and Psychological testing and counseling. Read about our ASD testing services here.