Lots of us at Child and Family Development wore blue and white for the first-ever Childhood Apraxia of Speech (CAS) Day!
As a pediatric speech therapist with a lot of training and interest in helping kids with this diagnosis, it was an easy way for me to support my clients with CAS and CASANAS.
- Childhood Apraxia of Speech is a motor speech disorder in which children have difficulty programming and planning the motor movements for speech.
- Top 3 characteristics of CAS: *Inconsistent errors with consonants and vowels, * lengthened pauses between sounds and/or syllables, and *Inappropriate stress on syllables and/or words.
- A licensed speech language pathologist is the appropriate person to diagnosis CAS.
- Early Intervention is crucial for children with CAS.
- Further information of CAS can be found at http://www.apraxia-kids.org/
Once again this year, I will be leading the C&FD team’s participation in the 2nd Annual Walk for Apraxia in Charlotte on Saturday, September 28, 2013. Mark your calendars!