Child and Family Development continues pool-based physical therapy at the Harris YMCA!
We have offered aquatic therapy for about 15 years and four physical therapists will be in the water regularly this fall:
|Erin Krueger, DPT, ATRIC|
|Jessica Turchin, LPT, ATRIC|
Sessions in the pool are offered in seasonal blocks or on a 1-time occasional basis to try it out as an adjunct to regular land based therapies.
Pool therapy is a great complement to a physical therapy or occupational therapy intervention.
- The aquatic medium provides a number of unique properties that are almost impossible to replicate on land.
- The hydrostatic pressure of the water really helps our pediatric patients with body awareness and sensory integration. Not to mention the undeniable aid with postural support for not only standing, but also for breathing!
- The buoyancy aids in off weighting the body to make coordination of activities much easier, as it can be used to lessen the strength required to perform a movement successfully. Many people learn to walk first in the water and then on land.
- The confidence they have in the water is remarkable. Imagine seeing a 7 year old motor plan and successfully walk for the first time in the water – now that 10 year old is walking independently on land!
For the last 7 years, we have partnered with th Harris YMCA in Charlotte near South Park Mall. The indoor pool has several features that are especially therapeutic including:
- zero tide entrance, like walking into the ocean
- whirlpool, with variable resistance and pressure
- heated water
- floating equipment and toys
Click here to read more about the benefits of aquatic therapy.
Click here to review the pool waiver and consent form.