In summer 2017, Child and Family Development offers a sensory-language social skills group built around LEGO¬Æ fun!
Sessions are co-led by a Speech Therapist and an Occupational Therapist.
The program is based on a LEGO¬Æ curriculum as well as LEGO¬Æ- Based Therapy: How to build social competence through LEGO¬Æ-based clubs for children with autism and other related conditions by Daniel LeGoff, Gina Gomez de la Cuesta, GW Krauss and Simon Baron-Cohen. Main topics are:
- WHOLE BODY LISTENING
- BUILDING WITH A GROUP
- READING & SHOWING EMOTIONS
- GIVING & RECEIVING DIRECTIONS
Our group is open to all children who are verbal and can follow simple multi-step directions. A diagnosis is not required nor restricted to participation.
At the end of the week, kids will go home with a special toy to be enjoyed!
Each child is screened by a therapist before being placed into a group. The groups are formed based on each child‚Äôs communication skills, social ability and age. To participate, a child must be able to follow basic Lego directions independently or with minimal help.
The group meets for four 50-minute sessions, Monday-Thursday at the Pineville office. Based on interest, there will be up to 4 groups:
- GROUP #1: July 24-July 27 from 11-12
- GROUP #2: July 24-July 27 from 1-2
- GROUP #3: July 31-August 3 from 11-12
- GROUP #4: July 31-August 3 from 1-2
The cost is $220.00. All LEGO¬Æ materials are included. Payment is due at the time of registration.
- Kati Berlin, MS OTR/L, Occupational Therapist, 704.541.9080 ext. 210
- Kristin Lyman, MA CCC-SLP, Speech Therapist, 704.541.9080 ext. 213
Click here to print the info page.