Proudly serving children and families in our community for 40 years.
In 1980 we opened our doors to provide Educational and Physical Therapy services to children in Charlotte. Today, our doors remain open offering Education, Psychology, Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Speech Therapy and ABA services to families across the greater Charlotte and South Carolina areas. We have expanded our footprint, our team, our offices, and our services. Learn more about our journey and the people who traveled along with us over the years.
- 1980: C&FD was founded by Sherry Launt, PT and Vicky Christensen, Educator on 7th Street Charlotte
- 1983: East Boulevard office opens
- 1985: McGregor Downs office opens
- 1989: East Moorehead Street office opens
- 1986: Began Student Program
- 1993: Carmel Executive Park office opens
- 1994: Laurel Avenue office opens
- 1995: Shannon Willow office opens
- 1998: Therapists underwent NDT training. Co-Founder, Vicky Christensen retires
- 2002: Randolph Rd office opens
- 2004: Pineville office opens
- Founder & Owner, Sherry Launt Retires
- 2005: C&FD celebrates 25 years in the community
- 2007: Current Midtown office opens
- C&FD wins Charlotte Parents Reader Approved Family Favorites “Best Special Needs Services”
- 2009: Reintroduced Pool-Based Therapy
- Launched C&FD Blog
- 2010: Opened Park Rd Pineville office, Started Providing Services at Fletcher School
- 2011: Offering ASD evaluations
- 2012: Launched Facebook page
- 2013: Started C&FD newsletter, Collaborated with Mecklenburg Neurological Associates in Spasticity Research Project
- 2014: Launched Twitter page
- 2015: Launched Instagram and Linkedin
- 2016: Hosted the Charlotte Autism Conference
- 2018: Awarded Best Place to Work by Charlotte Business Journal
- 2019: Began Offering ABA therapy. Introduced Phreesia e-check in process
- 2020: Now offering Virtual Visits for some services. New Pineville office opening soon
A Letter from the President
My journey at C&FD began in 1994 when I found an ad in the Charlotte Observer, yes in the black and white newspaper print, to join a multi-disciplinary team serving the needs of children and families.
My eyes lit up when I saw the ad since working with children had been my life-long passion. There was no website to review or Facebook to search, so I took a leap of faith and went to interview.
Forward ahead 25 years and here I still am today. I’ve seen C&FD grow and expand the number of incredibly talented team members, office locations, volume and geographical outreach to children and families, as well as the depth and breadth of service delivery.
From paper charts to EHR, an answering service to voicemail, memos to email, along with a vast change in trends in fashion, C&FD has continued to grow and remain a hallmark private multidisciplinary practice in Charlotte.
During my journey at C&FD, I have gone from newly married, to now on our fourth Labrador retriever, from new born babies to saying farewell on the steps of a college dorm building. As a parent watching my own children grow to adulthood, I continue to be absolutely amazed with what we do here at C&FD each day. To say I am proud is truly an understatement.
Our accomplishments would not be possible without the amazing team at C&FD. To all of you who worked with C&FD at one point or another, thank you for helping us help families. To our team now, thank you for being a part of this journey. I appreciate your commitment and hope you all will see C&FD continue for decades to come.
Happy 40th C&FD.
Pam Jones, MBA ; President
In Their Own Words
I had the pleasure of starting my career at Child & Family Development [as a Physical Therapist]. I was first a student and then a new grad, relocating to the South from Philadelphia. ..Sharon Vivaldi, PT, DPT | CFD Physical Therapist (1997-2003)
...The NDT philosophy of the practice meshed totally with my therapy vision. There was no other place in Charlotte that provided that multidisciplinary approach in such a nurturing environment.....Ann S. Guild, CCC, SLP | CFD Speech Language Pathologist (1989-2018)
[I] initially started forty years ago by two pioneering women, Sherry Launt and Vicki Christenson, Child & Family Development was and remains the premier, unique multidisciplinary therapeutic pediatric practice in Charlotte. My personal journey at C&FD began in 1986.....Dawn Keller, M.Ed | CFD Educational Specialist (1986-2011)
I started at C&FD in 1993, on Morehead St, and worked for varying periods up until 2006, taking time off for children and family over the years.....Tina Collop, OTR | CFD Occupational Therapist (1993-2006)
Interested in a position?
We are always looking to grow and diversify our team.